Splashing in the water and swimming is a fun activity for children of any age. With increased access to beaches, lakes and pools, summer fun can quickly turn to danger for children. Drowning is a leading cause of death in children under age 4.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) supports swimming lessons for most children 4 years and older, and for children 1 to 4 years of age who are ready to learn how to swim. Keep in mind that because children develop at different rates, each child will be ready to swim at his/her own time.
Here are some tips to help keep your child safe around water:
- You can start getting your baby used to swimming pools when he/she is 6 months of age or older.
- Children over 1 year of age may enjoy a swimming class. Your child will learn how to float and tread water. This helps keep your child safe. Water wings, noodles, and other water toys are fun, but you should not rely on them to keep your child safe.
- Swallowed pool water can be dangerous. If a child swallows too much water, the concentration of salt in the body can be lowered to a dangerous level and may cause seizures. Avoid infant programs that encourage submersion of head for more than a few seconds.
- Watch children closely and never leave them alone around water, including wading pools, swimming pools, spas or hot tubs, ponds, lakes, rivers or streams. If you have a backyard pool, make sure it is locked behind a gate, or for small pools, emptied and upside down so your child can’t get into the water. It’s also a good idea to learn CPR in case of accidents.
Here are a few places that offer swimming lessons in the New Braunfels area:
- City of New Braunfels Aquatic Center www.nbtexas.org/1436/swim-lessons
- YMCA New Braunfels www.ymca.net
- Health Link Fitness Center (830) 500-7348 https://www.resolutehealth.com/our-locations/healthlink-fitness-and-well...
For more information regarding swimming and summertime safety, please visit www.healthychildren.org
Play, learn and swim this summer! Have safe fun in the sun enjoying the beauty of New Braunfels with your children.